About the project
Wicked Arts Assignments is a project of the Research Group Arts Education of the Amsterdam University of the Arts. The project reflects the oeuvre of contemporary arts educators around the world. Wicked Arts Assignments are bold, unusual, contrary, funny, poetical, inspiring, socially committed, or otherwise challenging.
Everyone who teaches art knows them: the assignment that is seemingly simple but which challenges participants, students and pupils to the max. Many artists and arts teachers have that singular, personal, often-used assignment in which everything comes together: their artistic vision, their pedagogical approach and their love for certain techniques or methods. The book Wicked Arts Assignments (Valiz publishers) and this website are both a tribute to and a source of inspiration for arts educators. The website collects artistic results and new assignments can be submitted.
On Friday 27 November 2020 the Research Group Arts Education of Amsterdam University of the Arts organized an international digital symposium on Wicked Arts Assignments. During the symposium contributors from the book from all over the world shared their ideas and practice in several parallel presentations and workshops in real time with a broad international community. Read more
- 2021, Collaboration with Mister Motley on Wicked Arts Assignments. Interview with Sabina Enéa Téari/ Foresta Collective and Andrea Palašti by Sanne Kersten
- 2021, podcast on Wicked Arts Assignments, Aminata Cairo interviews Emiel Heijnen en Melissa Bremmer and Lieneke Hulshof (Mister Motley) in podcastseries Kunsteducatie Doorgelicht
- 2021, NAEA Conference Chicago, USA. Wicked Arts Assignments: The Hidden Oeuvre of Contemporary Arts Educators. Presentation by Melissa Bremmer & Emiel Heijnen
- 2021, LKCAtelier, NL. Wicked Arts Assignments. Online workshop by Melissa Bremmer & Emiel Heijnen with Oskar Maarleveld.
- 2021, EYE Film Institute, NL. Wicked Film Assignments. Online workshop by Melissa Bremmer & Emiel Heijnen with Oskar Maarleveld.
Visual identity: Laura Pappa
Website design and development: François Girard-Meunier
Content: Sanne Kersten, Melissa Bremmer & Emiel Heijnen
Publishing partner: Valiz
This project is part of:
Research Group Arts Education
Amsterdam University of the Arts
Wicked Arts Assignments is an initiative of the Amsterdam University of the Arts (hereinafter referred to as: AHK). The AHK handles your personal data carefully in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Learn more about this website’s privacy, data and cookies policy.
Get in touch
Are you interested in the Wicked Arts Assignments research project or do you want a presentation or workshop? Get in touch with us by sending an email to: email@example.com.
Open call for new arts assignments
Wanted: Contributions for a new book on art education assignments. Upload your best, weirdest, most original or challenging arts assignment!Fill the form